We are going to learn about hortatory exposition. In this genre that similar with analytical exposition, but it has the difference on the generic structure. For a hortatory exposition give the recommendation on the issue being discussed. So, by writing a hortatory exposition text you will be able to show or to say your point of view on a certain issue.
A hortatory exposition is a type of spoken or written text that is intended to explain the listeners or readers that something should or should not happen or be done. To strengthen the explanation, the speaker or writer needs some arguments as the fundamental reasons of the given idea. In other words, this kind of text can be called as argumentation. Hortatory exposition text can be found in scientific books, journals, magazine, newspaper articles, academic speech or lecture, research report etc. Hortatory exposition are popular among science, academic community and educated people. The generic structure of hortatory exposition usually has three components:
A. Generic structure of hortatory exposition
1. Thesis : Statement or announcement of issue concern
2. Argument : Reasons for concern that will lead to recomendation
3. Recomendation : Statement of what should or should not happen or be done based
on the given arguments.
B. Generic features of hortatory exposition
1. A hortatory exposition focuses on generic human or non human participants, except for speaker or writer referring to self.
2. It uses mental processes. It is used to state what the writer or speaker thinks or feels about something. For example: realize, feel etc.
3. It often needs material processes. It is used to state what happens, e.g. ... has polluted ... etc.
4. It usually uses Simple Present Tense and Present Perfect Tense.
5. Enumeration is sometimes necessary to show the list of given arguments: Firstly, secondly, ... , finally, etc.
Read this text of hortatory exposition!
(Announcement of issue concern)
Do you know what the meaning of corruption is? What is the relation between money and corruption? Well, corruption is common everywhere in the world, even in the United States. It’s just a matter of intesity. However, it is quite shocking when one reliable survei claims Jakarta as the most corrupt place in Indonesia.
The survey has made me sad, actually, because I stay and earn a living here in the capital. As most people know, Tanjung Priok port wmuggling is not a new thing at all. Enterpreneurs who want to minimize their tax payments tend to do such a thing more often. They even bribe the officials.
Well, I thing the measures taken so far to overcome the problem by punishing the corruptors is still not far enough. We have to prevent the younger generations from getting a bad mentality caused by corruption.
I believe we should start at the earliest stages in school and think everyone should be involved in the effort to eradicate corruption. We must not make any distinction.
Adapted from: The Jakarta Post, February 2005